Keep the news coming! Your ad here for only $30 a week.

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Rep. Don Young's comments

Alaska Rep. Don Young made some interesting comments after the Resources Committee vote yesterday. I think they are revealing, so I'll share.

Quoted by the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, he chastised Rep. Raul Grijalva, D-Ariz., for speaking against oil development.
"I hope my good friend from Arizona thought about my state, thought about my people, my constituents and my Native people."

Quoted by KTUU-TV:
“Talking about my people, my constituents, and my Native people that support this -- AFN, the Inuits, they support this. You say, ‘Oh, it's because they're going to make some profit.’ Yes, they're going to lift themselves out of the ghettos, and put themselves in the right place as they should be in our society.”

Responding in the News-Miner story was Anna Davidson, a Yup'ik woman originally from Akiachak, who was visiting D.C. to protest the vote:
"I'm surely not his Native. The way he sounded was like he owned me."

[Technorati tags: ]